Thursday, April 23, 2020

26. Walter Bauer, Orthodoxy and Heresy in Earliest Christianity

26. Walter Bauer, Orthodoxy and Heresy in Earliest Christianity


Spotify Link


iTunes Link




Are heresies always and everywhere secondary and subsidiary? How did the mainstream church of the fourth century achieve dominance? A discussion of Walter Bauer's Orthodoxy and Heresy in Earliest Christianity.



Walter Bauer, Rechtgläubigkeit und Ketzerei im ältesten Christentum (Tubingen: Mohr-Siebeck, 1934).

Thanks to Carnegie Band for use of their song "Come Home."

1 comment:

  1. I've started listening to the podcast before work instead of my tv shows. I listened to this one this morning. I'm probably going to listen a few more times to get all the pieces. My question is concerning Catholicism. I would imagine that anyone who joined the movement due to the influence of Peter would think he would have agreed with them even concerning things he may never even have anticipated, so you can kind of see how people would accept the Eusebian model of an unaltered orthodoxy passed down from Jesus to the modern Pope! I'm not sure if I want to ask for a date for a recognizable Catholicism or whether its line of succession claims are accurate. I feel like I've made a muck of this question because obviously there wasn't something known as Catholicism in the first century, although they, no doubt, trace their line back through proto catholic groups. Does any of this make sense?

    ReplyDelete

56. James Dunn, "The New Perspective on Paul"

56. James Dunn, "The New Perspective on Paul" iTunes Link YouTube Link Spotify Link What is the relationship between Paul's Ju...